Saturday 5 November 2011

Nice of you to drop by...





Welcome to the Dee's Luxury Jamaican Rum Cake blog.


We are the producers of hand crafted luxury rum cakes infused with authentic Jamaican white rum.
I personally bake all of the cakes that we produce. I have been baking since my teenage years. The recipe for the rum cake is an edited version of the recipe that my mother used. My sister and I were both born in London of Jamaican Parentage. We are very proud of our Jamaican heritage, particularly the culinary aspect.


By trade I am a family barrister and my sister is a journalist with a food trade magazine and teacher at a fashion college. We are also both discerning foodies and have munched our way around the world over the past few decades.


At the end of last year we identified the fact that the traditional rum cakes that we consume at times of celebration were difficult to find. I have been making them to order for family and friends for years. At Christmas close friends would leave my home clutching boxes or tins full of the aromatic, rum cakes. I would bake for weddings, birthdays and even funeral wakes. Dee's cakes actually taste of rum - you do not have to go searching for the rum flavour, they greet you with open arms!


We decided to share the cakes with others last Christmas and participated in the Afridiziak Gifts and Occasions Xmas Boutique at the Oval House Theatre in Kennington. The cakes were very well received and we had a fabulous time.


This Summer has been busy for Dee's LJRC. We had a successful stall at the Jamaica Basic School Foundation Party In The Park at Crystal Palace park. This was followed by a terrific day at the Thames Festival outside the Tate Modern, as part of the Crafty Fox Collective. The Crafty Fox crew, Sinead and Stefan were amazing to work with. We unveiled The Dee's Rum Cup Cake, which sold out after a few hours. The night ended with a spectacular firework display on the Thames.


Westbury Hotel, London Fashion Week

Next came our stand at London Fashion Week at the fashion shows held at the Westbury Hotel in Mayfair. We were a bit sceptical because we thought that serious fashionistas don't eat cake. We were proved wrong. They do in fact eat cake, but they eat it as a meal, rather than to polish off the end of a meal as I do. Boxed cakes were also popular for guests to take to "after parties".


Also look out for my posting of recipes that friends share with me and for my "memorable meals" posting in which I recall the delights of meals scoffed and savoured over the years.


Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment